Penang is one of Southeast-Asia`s jewels and was recently rated 8th place on the list „10 Best Places in the World to Visit“. From humble beginnings in the late 18th century as a trader's hub to today's bustling and vibrant city with highlights for the food & history enthusiast as well as the nature lover, Penang has most definitely something for everyone.
Here are some of Penang's highlights (there is much more which didn't make it into that list):
Batu Ferringhi the Beach Resort
Batu Ferringhi, which means „Foreigner's Rock“, is Penang Island's most popular beach and nighlife area with an abundance of restaurants, souvenir shops, beach bars & cafes as well as many high-rated international hotel chains, such as Hard Rock Hotel Penang, Shangri-La or Holiday Inn. The town has one of the biggest (and busiest!) beaches on the island, where you can just hang around or enjoy a cold drink or have a long beach walk.
Are you a fan of water sports? Then Batu Ferringhi is the right place for you – you can:
- Parasail and fly high in the sky
- Drive Jetski and speed over the sea
- Ride a banana boat with friends & family
- FlyFox, Ringo and many more...
At Batu Ferringhi you'll find the biggest and most famous Night Market in Penang, starting at around 6.30pm until late at night. Here you shop till you drop – watches, DVD's, Handbags, Accessories, Jewelry, Handicrafts and much more.
Temples & Heritage in Penang and Georgetown
Penang is a very multicultural place with lots of temples, churches, mosques and many different cultural heritage sites of interest. Buddhists, Hindus, Christians, Chinese Taoists and Muslims find their places of worship in Penang – the most famous ones are:
- Kek Lok Si Temple – one of THE main attractions in Penang, a must-see for everyone!
- Thai & Burmese Temples – two magnificent Buddhist temples opposite of each other
- Snake Temple – get scared by real snakes bemused by incense
- St. George's Church – the oldest Anglican church in Southeast Asia
- Khoo Kong Si
- Kapitan Keling Mosque – the largest mosque in George Town
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion – a wonderful townhouse-come-museum about Penang's rich Baba Nyonya culture
- Armenian Street lies in the heart of the World Heritage zone of Georgetown, which was declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2008.
We are huge fans of Penang's varied and delicious food and cuisines – Chinese, Indian-Muslim (Nasi Kandar!), International, Malay, and sometimes a wonderful mix of them all! It would require an extra website to really and wholeheartedly appreciate the food in Penang, which is why we just say: Try it all, you will love it!
Penang Nature & Fun
With pristine beaches, millenniums old rain forest and an abundance of wildlife to discover, every nature enthusiast won't forget the visit to Penang. For families and kids there is lots of fun guaranteed with Nature- and Ecoparks and even a Sea Water Adventure Park. Some of our favourites are:
- Penang Botanical Garden – a beautiful recreational garden built by the British
- Penang Butterfly Farm – discover a multitude of bio-life in lush tropical surroundings
- Penang Spice Garden – tropical herbs & spices in combination with awesome Thai Food
- Escape Adventure Park – a world-class outdoor activity leisure park
- Wet World Wide Water Park – a one-of-its-kind in Asia sea water park for the whole family
Aerial evening scene of Penang Island: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license. Author: Goh PS
Kek Lok Si Temple: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. Author: Ikysee
Penang Peranakan Mansion: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license. Author: Hajotthu
Khoo Kongsi Temple: Image is released into the publi domain.
Kapitan Keling Mosque: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license. Author: Mohammed Al-Naser
Penang Botanic Gardens: This file is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication.
Batu Ferringhi Beach: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. Author: Reinhard Kroisenbrunner
Penang National Park: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. Author: Asiadetailfeed